What is domestic abuse?  

Domestic abuse can be described as an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent behaviour, including sexual violence, in the majority of cases by a partner or ex-partner, but also by a family member or carer. 
Domestic abuse can include, but is not limited to, the following: 
Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence) 
Psychological and/or emotional abuse 
Physical or sexual abuse. 
Financial or economic abuse. 
Harassment and stalking. 
Online or digital abuse. 

Ways of protexting you and your children 

In family law, an injunction is a court order that requires someone you are associated with to do or not do something. There are two main types of injunctions you can apply for under Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996: 
A non-molestation order. This aims to prevent your current or former partner/spouse from threatening or using violence against you or your child. The order also aims to stop any harassing or intimidating behaviour. It can also stop them from coming within a specified distance of your home. Its ultimate purpose is to protect your health, safety and well-being, as well as that of your children. 
An occupation order. This determines who can live in the family home and from coming within a specified distance of the property. 
An ‘associated person’ means you and your abuser must be connected with each other in at least one of the following ways: 
You are or were married to each other. 
You are or were in a civil partnership. 
You live with each other or used to live together. 
You live or used to live in the same household. 
You are blood relations. 
You are engaged to be married to each other (even if the engagement ends). 
You have children together – this may include those who are parents of the same child, as well as those who have parental responsibility for the same child. 
You are in an ‘intimate relationship of significant duration’. 
You are both taking part in the same family proceedings (e.g. children act proceedings or divorce). 
Injunctions are usually made for 6 or 12 months, however they can be extended if there is reason to. 
Our specialist solicitors can prepare the court papers, represent you at court and support you through the process. 
There are other organisations who can provide you with assistance during this time, including but not limited to: 
The Police 
Refuge who run the National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247 
Women’s Aid - https://www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/ 
Respect who run the Men’s Advice Line – 0808 801 0327 
With so much to consider, you need to have the best legal expertise on your side. Our solicitors have decades of experience and are also members of Resolution, which meaning we are committed to promoting a constructive approach to family issues that considers the needs of the whole family. We offer a personal service, ensuring you are supported every step of the way. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings